Friday, April 2, 2010

Landon is here!!

Landon Patrick Ellison was born on March 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM.  He weighed 8 lbs, 3.5 oz and is 21 in long.


Here is the story of how he came into the world.


I started having contractions that were much more noticeable on Monday evening. They were about 10 min apart. I took Tylenol pm and went to bed, hoping to get some rest. I woke up quite a bit with the contractions. At one point I decided to time them since they were strong enough to keep waking me up. Still 10 minutes. And then Tuesday morning, they were even further apart and not very regular. So Andrew went to work. They were still hurting and I was irritated that they didn't seem to be going anywhere. By 3 or so, some of them were about 7-8 min apart but they weren't consistent so I wasn't sure it meant anything. At this point I was really having to work through them though. They gradually started getting closer but still had a weird pattern. Around 5 or 6 some were about 5 min apart. Some were further apart though so I didn't think we should call yet. They are supposed to be 5 min apart and lasting at least a min for an hour to go in. And since some were further apart, I didn't think we were there yet. At around 7, some started coming every 3-4 min and were very hard to get through. There were still some that were further spaced so we discussed waiting to call. About 7:30 Andrew said we really should call and at least talk to our midwife since some were so close and so hard on me. I agreed. She said to meet her there about 8:15. So we waited for SIL to get here and Andrew loaded the car. My mom had come up earlier that day so she followed us. We got to the birthing center about 8:25. I had several hard contractions on the way there which really sucked since I couldn't really move or do much to get through them. Then at the birthing center I had one when I got out of the car, one when we walked into the exam room and then one as she was checking his heart rate with the Doppler. He did well with the contraction. Then she checked me and said I was dilated to 7-8 cm!!! My water hadn't broken yet. It was about 8:40 by this point and she filled the tub for me and said let her know if I felt the urge to push. I had one contraction as we walked into the birthing room and then had 3 contractions in the tub. During the third one, I felt myself pushing involuntarily. I told Andrew and he yelled for our midwife (she had walked into her office to write down the stats from my exam). She came running and I told her I could feel him coming down. She asked me to relax (I was pretty worked up from the intensity of the last few contractions and my legs were shaking) and wait til we both got in a better position for me to push. I scooted down and had to hold my leg to the side. Then in a few small pushes (less than 5 minutes), Landon was on my chest. at 8:58! The birthing assistant got there right after. Alison had arrived shortly before he was born. They put a hat on him (purple, since that was the first they grabbed, lol) and checked his heart rate.






After the cord stopped pulsing, Andrew got to cut the cord. After about 10-15 min, I felt some cramping so she handed Landon to Andrew so they could wrap him up and I could deliver the placenta. It didn't take too long.




And then I got out and put on a gown and laid down on the bed. Then I had Landon in my arms again.




We rested for awhile and I nursed him.






Then I took an herbal bath and they weighed and measured Landon. He is 8 lbs, 3.5 oz and 21 in.




He had pooped at some point because when they unwrapped him to weigh him, he was covered from the waist down. Guess that colostrum went right through him! Then I got stitched up. I only had a first degree tear this time, so not too bad. Andrew got Landon dressed to go home and then loaded the car during this time.






With Mimi


We stayed for one more set of vitals and then we were ready to go. We got home just before 1 am.


The next morning, Blake got to meet his new brother.  He was excited to see him and gave him hugs and kisses.




We are enjoying Landon so much.  He is such a pleasant little guy.  Blake is adjusting well and is a great big brother.  He loves to give Landon hugs and kisses.  When Landon is sleeping in the bassinet, Blake will walk over and say Shhhhh with his finger up to his lips.  







Look at all that dark hair!





We are so blessed to have two amazing sons.  Tomorrow, Blake will be 2.  Its hard to believe its been that long!  He has grown up fast.  Expect a birthday post soon. :)




No comments: